This program is available to physicians who generate income within a given calendar year. Residents who hold a full license to practice may be eligible for a CME rebate if they also “moonlight” to earn fee-for-service income and incur CME expenses not related to completion of their Residency program.
Physicians are continually upgrading their knowledge, and Doctors Manitoba helps make that possible. Our CME Rebate program, established through negotiations with Manitoba Health, provides physicians with reimbursement for Continuing Medical Education expenses.
For the previous calendar year, eligible physicians may receive up to $3,800 in reimbursement for eligible CME expenses. The program covers expenses such as CME registration fees, accommodation and meals, and medical educational materials. Claim forms are sent to eligible physicians each year in early April.
Who is Eligible?
Claims must be submitted no later than December 31 in the year following the year of the claim. (For example, claims for 2020 must be submitted by December 31, 2021.)
Rebates will be mailed as claim forms are processed. Cheques will be issued in the name of the claimant.
We recognize that COVID-19 situation has caused disruption to many physicians’ practices. To support you, we have made several changes to the CME Rebate program this year, including:
- Expedited Rebates: cheques will now be sent as your claim forms are received, instead of after the annual deadline, so you can receive your funds more quickly.
- Easier Application: you can now apply online. This will simplify the process for you and help us process your claim forms and get your refund to you faster.
- To apply online you will need your Doctors Manitoba ID number (see the claim form that was sent to you).
- You will also still have the option to use a paper application form we mailed to you.
- Higher Rebate: The maximum rebate amount was increased to $3800 last year.
- Open to More Physicians: The rebate is now available to all physicians who received any remuneration from Manitoba Health, not just fee-for-service physicians.
Special Pandemic Education Rebate: A one-time $2,000 payment to support the continuing education physicians needed in 2020/2021 due to emerging and changing knowledge about COVID-19. Apply by June 30, 2021.
This increased rebate and expansion to more physicians was made possible because of the expanded benefits we negotiated in the Master Agreement in 2019. While other jurisdictions are cutting physician benefits, we were able to maintain or expand all of our benefit programs. The earlier refund is a result of a Board initiative to find ways to support you during the pandemic.
The only receipts you need to submit with your form are the registration and CME certificates for any conferences attended. However, you should keep all receipts, as some claims may be reviewed and all receipts may be needed to substantiate the submission.
How to submit your claim
Online: Complete the necessary fields, upload any required documents, and click submit. You don’t need to send anything to Doctors Manitoba by mail, email or fax, unless we contact you. Apply online now.
On paper: Mail your completed claim with attached receipts to our office or email it to CME@doctorsmanitoba.ca.
We encourage you to apply early if you need an expedited rebate, but we have also extended the deadline to December 31, 2021 if you prefer to take more time to apply.