Description of Board of Directors
- Doctors Manitoba is governed by elected physician members from across the province. These elected members sit on the Doctors Manitoba Board of Directors and make key decisions on behalf of the membership. These decisions are driven by our mission to serve the physicians of Manitoba, advocating for their professional, economic and personal well-being.
- There are six regular Board meetings each year, typically on Wednesdays from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. A detailed agenda is provided to all Directors prior to each meeting. Expenses and an honorarium are paid to Directors for each Board meeting that they attend.
- There are 14 District Medical Societies, seven in Winnipeg and seven outside of Winnipeg. Every physician is eligible to register in one District. Every District elects one Director to the Board (The Health Sciences Centre District elects two, given its size, and other Directors are appointed on behalf of the University Medical Group, medical residents, and medical students). Each Director serves a two year term, and can serve up to three consecutive terms. Directors may seek to join the Executive, comprised of five Directors.
- Elections for Directors for Districts outside of Winnipeg are held in even-numbered years, and elections for Directors of Districts in Winnipeg are held in odd-numbered years.
- In election years, Doctors Manitoba sends each member in the District a call for nominations, including an updated list of eligible members. Any physician on the list is eligible to nominate or be nominated to serve as a Director for that District. Incumbent Directors must be nominated again, and other physicians may choose to be nominated even if an incumbent Director is nominated again. If more than one candidate is nominated, a vote is conducted upon close of nominations.
- We do not share email addresses and other contact information with candidates. If there is an election in a District, we send out a biography of candidates to all members in the District. Members can “campaign” by approaching colleagues and asking for support.
If you have any questions about the role of Directors, or the nomination and election process, please contact Leanne Muir at firstname.lastname@example.org or (204) 985‑5866.