As a physician or resident, you are eligible to claim this benefit if you have practiced medicine or been a Resident in Manitoba and earned income directly or indirectly from Manitoba Health for providing medical services, teaching, research and/or administrative duties immediately prior to taking a leave of absence to care for a newborn or adopted child aged 5 or under.
If a physician is eligible to claim maternity or parental benefits under the terms of another contract negotiated by Doctors Manitoba, he or she is not eligible to claim a benefit under this program. Applicants must have held a full registration with the CPSM prior to the leave, and are required to continue to pay dues to Doctors Manitoba.
This benefit program is not available to physicians who, prior to the start of the parental leave:
- held a short-term license, or
- whose license status was NR or OR, or
- who were on the supplementary or education register.
However parental leave benefits from this program are available to Physician Residents who are covered by the PARIM collective agreement. PARIM members who are non-physicians are not eligible for parental benefits from Doctors Manitoba.
Benefits are only payable to physicians who are residents of Manitoba during the benefit period.
- If you relocate from the province, your benefits will be terminated.
- If you do not return to work in Manitoba within 365 days of the start of the maternity/parental benefits, you will be required to repay benefits to Doctors Manitoba.