Physicians for Physicians Now On Demand
On December 10, 2020, nearly 800 viewers tuned in to watch Physicians for Physicians, a special pandemic virtual event. The event spotlighted how COVID-19 has impacted the medical community, as well as honour this year’s Doctors Manitoba award winners.
Our event is now available to view in full on demand! We’ve also included links to specific clips and videos in our recap below.
Dr. Michael Boroditsky was a terrific host for evening, and unlike the Oscars our event wrapped up ahead of schedule!
The event started with messages of appreciation for doctors from Her Honour, Janice Filmon, the Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba and His Worship, Mayor Brian Bowman. Warm wishes also followed from MMF President David Chartrand, Winnipeg Jet Josh Morrissey, radio host Ace Burpee, the Manitoba Medical Students’ Association and a grade 5 class from Ecole Marie-Anne Gaboury.
Your Wellness During COVID
A special message was shared from a few dozen doctors about the importance of physician wellness, especially during the pandemic. Theresa Oswald, CEO of Doctors Manitoba, introduced the video by pointing out that the staff at Doctors Manitoba “are concerned” about physician burnout, adding “we need you now, and so you must take care of yourself.”
The special message from physicians emphasizes that COVID-19 has impacted every physician. Every physician is at risk for stress and burnout, and therefore every doctor needs “psychological PPE.”
Physicians were asked to enter the phone number for our 24/7 Physician and Family Support Line into their cell phones: 1−844−436−2762. It might be useful to you, or you may need it in the weeks ahead for a colleague or family member.
Several physicians offered tips based on what works for them to build resilience and stay well.
Check out our special pandemic wellness video, made by physicians for physicians.
The New Doctors Manitoba
Doctors Manitoba President, Dr. Cory Baillie, unveiled the new Doctors Manitoba, including our new logo and new colours.
The new look follows feedback from our broadest consultation ever with members last year. We heard loud and clear that you want your association to be more visible and to be more courageous with our advocacy on behalf of physicians.
Dr. Baillie explained that “we’ve embraced bold new contemporary colours to help us stand out. And we’ve incorporated a stylized lifeline, because all of us, regardless of our specialty, work to better our patients lives.” The new look is also aligned with new mission, to strengthen and support the whole physician.
We also shared a one-minute video about Doctors Manitoba and who we are. We hope you’ll watch it, and know that on your journey as a physician, we are with you every step of the way.
Seven Outstanding Physicians Honoured
The 2020 Doctors Manitoba award winners were also honoured throughout the evening. While the award winners were selected before the pandemic, their commitment and achievements are a source of inspiration for all physicians as we find our way through this crisis.
Dr. Boroditsky, who is also Chair of the Doctors Manitoba Awards Committee, explained that “we were not able to gather last May for our annual gala, but the pandemic could not get in the way of celebrating this year’s outstanding award winners.”
The seven winners are profiled below, and for each you can click watch a short award video about them featured during our event. You’ll also find bonus links to each award winner’s full acceptance speech!
The seven physicians honoured this year include:
- Dr. Ken von Kuster as Physician of the Year. Dr. Kuster is an anatomical pathologist based at Victoria Hospital. He took the initiative to sub-specialize in dermatopathology to fill a critical void in Manitoba. He is also an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pathology at the University of Manitoba. View award video and full acceptance speech.
- Dr. Sabina Ijaz with the Distinguished Service Award. Dr. Ijaz works in the Pine Falls community and is recognized for her unique contributions with and for Indigenous communities, as well as her contributions to a culturally safe and holistic practice of medicine. View award video and full acceptance speech.
- Dr. Ricardo Lobato de Faria with the Health Administration Award. As an innovator in emergency medicine, Dr. Lobato de Faria is recognized for his nearly two decades of leadership at Seven Oaks General Hospital and the improvements to patient care that were realized during his tenure. View award video and full acceptance speech.
- Dr. Heather Lehmann with the Health or Safety Promotion Award. Based in Winkler at the CW Wiebe Medical Centre, Dr. Lehmann has taken on many projects, notably using her expertise and passion for women’s and reproductive health to develop a much-needed teen clinic as part of her family medicine practice. View award video and full acceptance speech.
- Dr. Yoav Keynan with the Scholastic Award. As a clinical scientist, Dr. Keynan holds several academic appointments, including as an Associate Professor in the Department of Medical Microbiology. He is a widely-published researcher with world-renowned expertise in infectious diseases, such as HIV and influenza. View award video and full acceptance speech.
- Dr. Clare Whitehead as Resident of the Year. Dr. Whitehead exemplifies the characteristics of a successful resident: strong clinical skills, enthusiastic teaching and scholarship, excellent leadership, and an unwavering commitment to her patients. Her research on the attitudes and perceptions about patients highlighted the importance of cultural safety and has led to positive changes at Children’s Hospital. View award video and full acceptance speech.
- Dr. Neil Craton with the Dr. Jack Armstrong Humanitarian Award. While his work in sports medicine, including with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, is notable, it is Dr. Craton’s deep commitment to the patients of the Saul Sair Health Centre at Siloam Mission that has been recognized by his peers with this honour. The impact of his compassionate and non-judgmental care for the Siloam community is, quite simply, immeasurable. View award video and full acceptance speech.
A sincere thank you to our presenting sponsors: the Canadian Medical Association, MD Financial Management and Scotiabank.