Tariff 8003 compensates Manitoba physicians for facsimile communications incidental to applications for drug coverage pursuant to Part 3 of the Prescription Drug Cost Assistance Act, Specified Drugs Regulation (Exception Drug Status Approval). Physicians should remember that they are able to claim Tariff 8003 for each communication in regards to obtaining approval when writing or renewing prescriptions that require Exception Drug Status. The following are guidelines you should know.
- A maximum of five communications per patient per thirty day period may be claimed.
- Only one claim per communication may be made.
- No claim may be made for a communication in which only a physician proxy, e.g., nurse or clerk, participates.
- Claims for more than one communication per patient per day should be submitted on a single claim.
- Services must be documented in the patient’s record as required by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba, and such documentation is required, upon request by Manitoba Health, to support the claim submitted.