You are eligible for Accident Insurance if you are a member of Doctors Manitoba or a clinic manager under age 75 or an eligible family member.
You can also purchase voluntary accident insurance for your spouse (if under age 75) and unmarried dependent children. This means your children who are:
- under 21 years of age, or
- under 25 years of age and attending university, college or trade school on a full-time basis, or
- any age if mentally or physically handicapped, provided they are incapable of self-sustaining employment and remain totally dependent upon you for support and maintenance.
Member Only Plan
With the member only plan:
- you purchase insurance in units of $10,000, to a maximum of 100 units ($1,000,000)
- premiums cost $3.00 per year (plus tax, where applicable) for each $10,000 unit of insurance*
- for example, if you want $250,000 (25 units) of coverage, the cost would be $75.00 per year (25 units X $3.00)
- the principal sum is the amount of insurance you choose to purchase.
Member and Family Plan
With the member and family plan:
- you can purchase insurance in units of $10,000 to a maximum of 10 units ($1,000,000)
- premiums cost $4.32 per year (plus tax, where applicable) for each $10,000 unit of insurance*
- for example, if you want $250,000 (25 units) of coverage, the cost would be $108.00 per year (25 units X $4.32)
- the principal sum for you (the member) is the total amount of insurance you choose to purchase
- the principal sum for your spouse is equal to 50% of the member’s principal sum
- the principal sum for each dependent child is equal to 15% of the member’s principal sum, to a maximum of $50,000 per dependent child.
- for example, if you purchased $100,000 of accident insurance under the Member and Family Plan, your spouse has coverage of $50,000 and your dependent children each have coverage of $15,000 (the maximum amount of coverage)
- if you and your spouse are both physicians paying dues to Doctors Manitoba:
you they may both enrol, with one member electing the Member Only Plan and the other electing the Member and Family Plan with Dependent children only
the member who does not enrol is considered the spouse to be insured under the Member and Family Plan.
*Retail sales taxes are calculated based on the premiums applicable to those members of Doctors Manitoba who reside in Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec. Taxes are not included in the above premiums