140 9 St SE, Portage la Prairie, MB R1N 3V5
Date Posted: November 10, 2022
Closing Date: June 30, 2023
Renumeration / Overhead Split: Fee for Service
RHA: Southern Health-Santé Sud
Job Description: The Portage Clinic has an excellent opportunity for a full time General Surgeon to join their team of two other General Surgeons in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba.
Portage District General Hospital is an 88-bed hospital that services a population of approximately 50,000 in the Portage la Prairie area. Hospital services include two operating theatres, small procedure room, diagnostic imaging including CT and ultrasound, lab, hemodialysis, chemotherapy, obstetrics, 24-hour emergency department, and ICU. There is 24-hour general surgery and obstetrical coverage, and c‑section care is currently provided by General Surgeons and a Family Practice Obstetrician. There are also two ENT surgeons, full time Radiology, and visiting Ophthalmology. Ground is about to be broken on a brand-new state of the art 114 bed hospital which will include three fully integrated laparoscopic suites and two endoscopy suites. Inpatient care is provided by hospitalists. Anesthesia is provided by Family Practice Anesthetists. The Portage District General Hospital Foundation is a strong supporter of the hospital and supports the initiation of new procedures and surgical programs.
The successful candidate will have a broad-based skillset in General Surgery, including GI endoscopy. C‑section skills are an asset but not required. Advanced laparoscopic skills, such as hernias and bowel resection with intracorporal anastomosis are an asset. On call services are compensated by stipend, and remuneration is fee for service. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to join the Portage Clinic, a private clinic a short block from the hospital. The Portage Clinic is a fully established clinic servicing all doctors in Portage la Prairie with billing services, EMR, dictation services. The successful candidate will hold certification from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and will be eligible for regular licensure from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba.
Portage la Prairie is a city of 13,000 people in the heart of Manitoba, the Island on the Prairies. It is a short drive to the capital city of Winnipeg, or to Brandon, as well as to many provincial and national parks (Riding Mountain National Park). Portage la Prairie was given its name by the voyageurs, who would portage their canoes over the prairies from the Assiniboine River to Lake Manitoba. While this sunny city’s economy is fed by agriculture, its recreation options abound. Cross the bridge to Island Park, home to an outdoor waterpark, accessible pathways, golf course and recreation centre with an arena and Manitoba’s largest indoor wave pool. Nearby Delta Marsh is a great place to see migrating waterfowl and further along Lake Manitoba is the soft white sand of Delta Beach. Portage la Prairie boasts a vibrant arts and cultural scene as well as a diverse array of sumptuous restaurants. Schools offer French Immersion programming and have excellent sports opportunities. Portage la Prairie is located on Treaty 1 Territory.
- Hold and maintain an approved license to practice as a General Surgeon from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba (CPSM) and comply with all the requirements of the College to maintain your license which may include (if you have received medical training outside of Canada), but not be restricted to, having a practice supervisor oversee your practice and allow audits of your practice;
- Uphold Standards established by the CPSM, provincial Standards as determined by the specialty and the Royal College of Physicians of Canada;
- Remain current through appropriate CPD (Continuing Professional Development);
- Maintain adequate CMPA coverage annually;
- Previous experience providing service in a rural community, and or a willingness to build a practice and live within the Region is required;
- Combinations of education, training, and experience may be considered.
- Given the cultural diversity of our region, the ability to respect and promote a culturally diverse population is required
- Proficiency of both official languages is essential for target and designated bilingual positions
- Demonstrated ability to meet the physical and mental demands of the job
- Demonstrated ability to respect confidentiality including paper, electronic formats and other mediums
- Good work and attendance record
Conditions of Employment:
- Completes and maintains a satisfactory Criminal Record Check, Vulnerable Sector Search, Adult Abuse Registry Check and Child Abuse Registry Check, as appropriate.
- All Health Care workers are required to be immunized as a condition of employment in accordance with Southern Health-Santé Sud policy.