CBTm for Physicians and Medical Learners
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy with Mindfulness (CBTm) for Physicians and Medical Learners is a set of courses designed to offer education and skills training in evidence-based self-management strategies to support the mental wellbeing of physicians and medical learners, delivered in a supportive peer environment. The classes and workshop are facilitated by Dr. Tanya Sala, a psychiatrist with a special interest in physician and student mental health. There is no charge for any of these courses and participation is confidential.
After participation in any one of the courses offered, participants will have an increased ability to:
- Observe and manage unhelpful patterns of thinking, behaving, and feeling that increase emotional suffering.
- Use CBT and mindfulness skills to manage life stresses at work and at home.
- Make a choice about how to respond to life stresses rather than reacting.
As an additional benefit, participation in one or more of these courses will enhance your knowledge about using CBT techniques with your patients.
Three different course options are included to provide as much flexibility as possible in scheduling and accommodate individual needs. You are encouraged to choose the course option that best fits your scheduling and learning needs.
- A next set of five 90-min virtual facilitator-led classes will run for 5 consecutive Thursdays from 6 – 7:30pm beginning January 19 and ending on February 16.
- An online self-directed course with five modules, mirroring the facilitator-led classes but offering more scheduling flexibility. Registration is open now.
- A next ten-week virtual CBT skills workshop will begin on Tuesday, January 24 and end on March 28, also from 6:00 – 7:30pm.
Each course includes reflective exercises and skills practice between sessions.
These events qualify as an Accredited Group Learning Activity (Section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
Download a poster for the courses here and register for one of the courses here.
Disclaimer: Doctors Manitoba is supporting The CBTm Hub and the University of Manitoba to provide virtual mental health services to physicians, residents and medical students. A key component of this is initiative is evaluation to determine program effectiveness and to receive feedback from physicians and medical learners. All demographic and mental health information gathered as part of the program will be stored in a highly secure and confidential manner by the CBTm Hub, approved by and exceeding ethical standards set by the University of Manitoba. Doctors Manitoba will not have access to any information provided by individuals as part of this process.