The following benefits are also included (see below for details):
|Benefit||Maximum Amount Payable|
|Conversion Option||Included for members only|
|Day Care||$5,000 (or 5% of principal sum)|
|Education||$ 5,000 (or 5% of principal sum)|
|Exposure and Disappearance||Principal sum|
|Family Transportation *||$10,000|
|Home Alteration and Vehicle Modification*||$10,000|
|Seat Belt||5% of principal sum|
|Waiver of Premium||Total amount of premiums|
|* Only payable under one of the policies issued to Doctors Manitoba|
Common Disaster Benefit (Family Plan Members only)
- If both you and your spouse die as a result of the same accident and within 90 days after the date of the accident, your spouse’s insurance coverage will be doubled to match your coverage, to a maximum aggregate of $1,000,000.
- If you contract and/or become infected by Hepatitis B, Tuberculosis or Meningoccal Meningitis to which you were exposed during the performance of your duties, the Plan pays the principal sum, to a maximum of $250,000, if loss of life occurs within 12 months following such exposure.
- You may convert coverage to an individual plan within 31 days of the termination under this plan. The new plan maximum coverage will be $100,000, and will be subject to the terms and conditions of the new individual policy.
Day Care Benefit
- If an injury causes your death, the Plan will pay the reasonable and necessary expenses actually incurred for an eligible dependent child who is, at the time of the accident, enrolled in a day care centre, or enrolls in a day care centre within 90 days following the date of your death.
- The benefit is equal to 5% of the principal sum or $5,000, whichever is less, each year for up to four consecutive years for each eligible dependent child under age 13 if the dependent child remains enrolled in a legally licensed day care centre.
- If an injury causes your death, the Plan will pay, in addition to all other benefits, an education benefit for any eligible dependent children.
- An eligible dependent child is one who, at the time of the accident, is enrolled as a full-time student in an institution for higher learning beyond the secondary school level, or is at the secondary school level and enrolls within 12 months following the date of your death.
- This benefit pays 5% of your principal sum to a maximum of $5,000 per year, for a maximum of four consecutive years.
Exposure and Disappearance
- If loss results from unavoidable exposure to the elements, benefits are payable under this policy.
- If the insured’s body is not found within one year after the date of the disappearance, sinking or wrecking of the vehicle in which he was an occupant at the time of the accident and under such circumstances as would otherwise be covered hereunder, it is presumed that the insured suffered loss of life resulting from bodily injury caused by an accident at the time of such disappearance, sinking or wrecking.
- When, as a result of loss covered by this policy, an insured person is confined as an in patient in a hospital located not less than 100 kilometres from his/her normal place of residence, the Plan will pay the reasonable expenses actually incurred by any member of the immediate family of the insured person for hotel accommodation and transportation by the most direct route to the insured person, not to exceed an aggregate amount of $10,000 for all such expenses.
- If, during the performance of your duties, you sustain an Injury which results in your acquiring and testing positive for the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) within 12 months following the date of the accident, the Plan pays a lump sum amount equal to your principal sum, subject to a maximum of $25,000.
Home Alteration and Vehicle Modification
- When an injury does not cause loss of life but results in the Plan making a payment under the Schedule of Loss, and requires you to use a wheelchair to be ambulatory, the Plan will pay for:
- the cost of alterations to make your home wheelchair accessible and habitable, and
- the cost of modifications necessary to make your vehicle accessible or drivable.
- Vehicle modifications must be approved by licensing authorities.
- The total maximum amount payable is $10,000.
- If injury requires that you undergo special training to qualify you for employment in an occupation for which you would not otherwise have engaged except for your injury, the Plan will pay the reasonable and necessary expense incurred for such training within 3 years of the date of the accident, subject to a maximum amount of $10,000 as the result of any one accident.
- If death of an insured person from accidental injury occurs at least 50 kilometers away from the normal residence, expenses of up to $10,000 will be paid for preparation and transportation of the body of the insured person to his/her city of residence.
- If an insured person sustains an injury in a vehicular accident which results in a payment under this policy, the Plan increases the benefit amount payable by 5% if, at the time of the accident, the insured person was driving or riding in a vehicle and wearing a properly fastened seat belt.
Spousal Retraining Benefit
- If an injury causes your death, the Plan will pay the reasonable and necessary expenses actually incurred by your spouse within 3 years from the date of the accident for a formal occupational training program up to $10,000.
- Payment is made for expenses actually incurred for an approved formal program, specifically qualifying your spouse for employment in an occupation for which he or she would otherwise not have had sufficient qualifications.
Waiver of Premium
- If you become totally disabled from an accident or sickness for at least six consecutive months, your premiums (and those of your insured spouse and/or insured dependent children, if applicable) are waived.
- The waiver is in effect until the earlier of the date you cease to be totally disabled, you reach age 65, your eligibility terminates, the policy is terminated, or failure to provide the Plan with proof of your continued total disability.