2023 Doctors Manitoba Awards Gala
Join us Saturday, May 13 to celebrate the medical profession, to honour the 2023 Doctors Manitoba Award Winners, and to recognize the dedication of all of Manitoba’s physicians. This is an excellent opportunity to connect with colleagues from across the province. We will see our incoming President, Dr. Michael Boroditsky, receive the chains of office and offer his inaugural remarks.
View the evening’s menu below. Deadline to order your Awards Gala tickets is May 4.
Celebrate this year’s honourees, who include the following courageous and committed physicians:
- Physician of the Year, Dr. Ryan Zarychanski for his truly groundbreaking work leading world-wide efforts to rapidly identify effective COVID-19 treatments.
- Humanitarian, Dr. Tamara McColl who has dedicated the last year to supporting the Ukrainian community here in Manitoba and on several medical relief missions to Ukraine.
- Distinguished Service, Dr. Maggie Morris who has offered nearly 40 years of service as a physician, educator, and leader in Women’s Health.
- Resident of the Year, Dr. Alwyn Gomez an exceptional neurosurgery resident with a deep passion for research and for supporting his fellow learners.
- Medal of Excellence, Dr. Biniam Kidane a thoracic and foregut surgeon and clinician-scientist who is a leader in minimally-invasive procedures and found innovative ways to avoid disruptions in care during the pandemic for his vulnerable patients.
- Medal of Excellence, Dr. Courtney Leary the first physician to be raised in and now serving the people of Norway House Cree Nation, a physician leader, and a strong advocate for health care in her community.
- Medal of Excellence, Dr. Katherine Kearns and Dr. Christina Raimondi who worked together to establish The Winnipeg Breastfeeding Centre to support the overwhelming need for help new families need with infant feeding.
- Medal of Excellence, Dr. Michael Loudon a champion for physician health who has dedicated over 15 years to his colleagues health while maintaining a busy rural family medicine practice.
Read the full bios about each award winner and their accomplishments here.
This year’s gala will recognize the charity of choice for this year’s Humanitarian Award, Dr. Tamara McColl.
The Canada Ukraine Surgical Aid Program (CUSAP) is a program of the Canada-Ukraine Foundation (CUF). The CUF Health Advisory Team (HAT) aims to be the partner of choice for Ukrainian healthcare institutions, NGOs, and various levels of government health ministries to build capability and capacity within Ukrainian healthcare systems and communities. There will be an optional fundraising component to the evening.