Manitoba Health does not cover the cost of missed appointments for office visits, diagnostic services, NFA surgery, or other treatment services.
Physicians may charge patients directly for missed appointments in accordance with the requirements of the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Manitoba BY-LAW #11 STANDARDS OF PRACTICE which can be found on the College’s website.
According to the College’s By-Law:
1. A member who charges a patient for a missed appointment must adhere to the following requirements:
- the patient must be informed in advance:
- that a charge will be made for a missed appointment and the amount of the charge; and
- as to how much notice must be given to the member in order to avoid the charge for a missed appointment;
- the member must have been available to the patient for the period of time for which the fee is charged and must not have been engaged in other billable health care at that time;
- the fee charged for a missed appointment must reasonably reflect the actual costs of the missed appointment;
- the member must take into account the circumstances of the missed appointment and the ability of the patient to pay and must be prepared to discuss the fee with the patient.
Updated: December 2016