The CMPA Rebate Program was established by Doctors Manitoba in 1986 to help alleviate some of the burden that comes from the increasing expenses of medical liability coverage for physicians. Despite increasing CMPA dues, through negotiations with Manitoba Health, Doctors Manitoba has been successful in assisting physicians offsetting these expenses through this fund.
Summary Of Benefit
Each physician is required to pay the first $1,300 of their CMPA dues/liability coverage. A rebate is provided for 74% of the remaining amount.
Doctors Manitoba sends out Application forms to its members twice a year: one in early September (for an interim rebate); and again in early January for the final rebate to cover the last six months of the previous year (or all 12 months if no interim claim was filed).
Rebates are subject to pro-ration if the physician has practiced in Manitoba less than 12 months in the calendar year. To be eligible to claim a rebate, physicians must have authorized the CMPA to electronically transfer their CMPA dues payment information to Doctors Manitoba.
CMPA fees for physicians in a residency program are automatically covered by a separate program under the PARIM contract.
For further information, contact:
Benefit Programs Coordinator
CMPA Rebate Eligibility Criteria
CMPA Rebate criteria is as follows:
- You qualify for a CMPA rebate if you:
- earned income directly or indirectly from Manitoba Health for providing medical services, teaching, research and/or administrative duties, and
- paid your own medical liability insurance fees (or equivalent liability insurance fees), or had it paid by the medical partnership to which you belonged, and
- held a full registration with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba (i.e. were not practicing in Manitoba under a short-term, NR, OR, supplementary or educational license), and
- were a member of Doctors Manitoba.
- This rebate program does not apply to physicians while in a residency training program. Such physicians are covered by the PARIM contract. Residents/Fellows who fulfill all of the above criteria and are not covered under PARIM may be eligible for a rebate.
- Rebates will be prorated for the portion of the calendar year that the physician earned eligible income from Manitoba Health. Rebates are not based on a minimum income threshold.
- Claimants must complete all questions on the rebate claim form and sign the legal declaration.
- The maximum rebate is based on the applicable CMPA “type of work” code. Physicians who change categories during the claim period will be compensated in such a way that they receive a rebate based on the number of months they paid a particular CMPA code.
- CMPA rates differ between jurisdictions. Physicians who have paid CMPA fees in more than one province are advised to claim a rebate from the province where CMPA fees are highest.
- Rebates are based on annual Manitoba CMPA rates.
- Where a physician, physician’s group or partnership paid the CMPA fees on behalf of a physician, the insured physician must complete and submit the CMPA claim form and the rebate cheque will be issued in that physician’s name. It is the responsibility of the partnership, etc. to recover the rebate from the insured physician thereafter.
- Any outstanding Doctors Manitoba dues owing by a physician will be deducted from any disbursement to be made to that physician from the CMPA Rebate Fund.
- Other restrictions may apply. Determination of eligibility is at the sole discretion of Doctors Manitoba.