The CMPA Rebate Program was established by Doctors Manitoba in 1986 to help alleviate some of the burden that comes from the increasing expenses of medical liability coverage for physicians. Despite increasing CMPA dues, through negotiations with Manitoba Health, Doctors Manitoba has been successful in assisting physicians offsetting these expenses through this fund.
Summary Of Benefit
Each physician is required to pay the first $1,300 of their CMPA dues/liability coverage. A rebate is provided for 74% of the remaining amount.
Doctors Manitoba sends out Application forms to its members twice a year: one in early September (for an interim rebate); and again in early January for the final rebate to cover the last six months of the previous year (or all 12 months if no interim claim was filed).
Rebates are subject to pro-ration if the physician has practiced in Manitoba less than 12 months in the calendar year. To be eligible to claim a rebate, physicians must have authorized the CMPA to electronically transfer their CMPA dues payment information to Doctors Manitoba.
CMPA fees for physicians in a residency program are automatically covered by a separate program under the PARIM contract.
For further information, contact:
Benefit Programs Coordinator
CMPA Rebate Eligibility Criteria
CMPA Rebate criteria is as follows:
- A physician qualifies for a CMPA rebate under the Doctors Manitoba Program only if they:
- earned income between January 1 – December 31, 2020 directly or indirectly from Manitoba Health for providing medical services, teaching, research and/or administrative duties, and
- paid their own medical liability insurance fees (or equivalent liability insurance fees), or had it paid by the medical partnership to which they belonged, and
- held a full registration with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba (i.e. were not practicing in Manitoba under a short-term, non-resident or supplementary or educational license), and
- were a member of Doctors Manitoba
- This rebate program does not apply to physicians while in a residency training program. Such physicians are covered by the PARIM contract. Residents/Fellows who fulfill all of the above criteria and are not covered under PARIM may be eligible for a rebate.
- Reimbursements will be prorated for the portion of the calendar year that the physician earned eligible income from Manitoba Health. rebates are not based on a minimum income threshold.
- Claimants must complete all questions on the rebate claim form and sign the legal declaration. All claims received after the deadline will automatically be reduced by 10% of the claim value to a maximum of $300. Claims that are submitted more than 1 year past the above deadline will not be accepted or paid.
- The maximum rebate is 74% of the difference between the base amount of $1,300 and the 2020 rate for the applicable CMPA “type of work” code. Physicians who changed categories during the claim period will be reimbursed based on their “type of work” code for each month of the year.
- Physicians who receive a CMPA rebate from another province should specify the amount received from that province to avoid duplicate reimbursement. the Doctors Manitoba program provides rebates that are based on Manitoba CMPA fees.
- Physicians who have their CMPA fees paid for by any other source (for example, RHA or clinic) should specify
- Rebates are based on annual Manitoba rates.
- An amount equal to the current outstanding Doctors Manitoba dues will be deducted from any disbursement to be made from the CMPA Rebate Fund to a physician where such dues have not already been paid by the physician.
- Other restrictions may apply in certain cases. Determination of eligibility is at the sole discretion of Doctors Manitoba.