If you share accommodations with another physician who is claiming CME rebate for the same conference, you can both claim $300 per day outside Manitoba and $200 per day inside Manitoba.
How do I file a claim for an event paid for over two years? (See #5 under CME Compensation Criteria)
If you paid a CME conference registration fee in December 2017 for an event that will take place before the end of May 2018, you can claim all conference costs in the 2017 year, as all expenses will occur before the deadline date to file a 2017 claim. You also can wait and claim all the expenses in the 2018 year if you do not claim it in 2017. Physicians must not split claims into two years. [This does not apply to annual fees paid for a series of periodic CME sessions held over the course of two years, (e.g. The Foundation for Medical Practice Education or the University of Manitoba Continuing Medical Education Program.) Those expenses should be fully claimed in the year they were paid.
If I received reimbursement or had CME costs covered by a third party including my employer, RHA, a third party agency, pharmaceutical company etc… Can I still apply for a rebate? (See #2 and #3 under CME Compensation Criteria)
- Under this Rebate program each physician who receives fee for services income in Manitoba is entitled only to the maximum rebate set (for 2017 this amount is $3500) from all sources.
- If your employer, a third party etc… provides you with the maximum rebate amount or more you are NOT entitled to an additional rebate.
- If your employer, a third party etc… provides you with less than the maximum rebate amount you may be entitled to the difference between the amount received and the program maximum amount.
- For example, if you file a valid claim for $3,500 and have received $2,500 under your contract, you would receive $3,500 – $2,500 = $1,000. Or, if you file a valid claim for a total of only $2000, you will receive no further rebate, as you already received CME compensation in the amount of $2,500 under your contract.
- All reimbursement of costs covered by a third party must be declared on your Claim Form
What can I claim under the Education Materials Component? (See Medical Educational Materials under What You Can Claim)
- Subscriptions to medical journals as long as you provide a receipt of payment for the journal (not subscription order/renewal forms).
- CME related software, for example, diagnostic tools for use with palm pilots.
- Medical audiotapes, videotapes and texts. Receipts must be provided for claiming these items. Medical-audio tapes provided by the American Seminar Institute are claimable, however, travel costs and per dia are not as it is not necessary to incur travel to take these seminars
- You are eligible to claim up to $600 per event for travel costs (both inside and outside of Manitoba). This may include airfare and/or mileage in a car at 50 cents per kilometer. You must provide proof of attendance at the meeting and the place where it was held so that mileage can be calculated using Google Maps.
- For meetings held in Manitoba you may claim 50 cents per kilometer for traveling to meetings you attend outside of your practice community.
- You may not claim mileage fees for travel while you are at an event.